Ginkakuji, the Silver Pavilion, on the east side of Kyoto is named silver because the founder's grandfather had built the Gold Pavilion, Kinkakuji, opposite it on the west side of Kyoto. The founder, Ashikaga Yoshimasa, intended to cover it with silver. Silver was never applied, but the name remains.
The building was started in 1484, but the oustanding Zen features were not made until the 1600s. They are the most prominent features of Ginkakuji. They are the huge sand sculpture named Ginsandan (Sea of silver sand) and the volcano-shaped "Moon-viewing platform".
Category:Architecture and Structures
© Dick Harris Photography