KIYOMIZU-DERA is, perhaps, the most popular temple for foreign visitors. It is on a high hill on the eastern
side of Kyoto, overlooking the city. It is the dominant feature of the Higashiyama (East Mountain) section of Kyoto.
Kiyomizu was established in 778, long before Kyoto became the capital of Japan. Kiyomizu, translated as
"Pure Water", derives its name from the waterfall within the complex that is fed by a spring on the mountain.
The main hall and veranda were rebuilt from 1631 to 1633. The veranda, or Kiyomizu Stage that extends
over a precipice, is built on huge 12-meter high Keyaki (Japanese Zelkova) pillars.
There is not a single nail in the entire structure.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:History, Japan, Temple
© Dick Harris Photography